Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the Club shall be to advance and encourage knowledge and practice of horticulture, flower arranging, design and development of gardens, conservation of trees, native plants and wildflowers and related educational activities; to cooperate in civic improvements; and to further the projects of the Garden Club of America.
The San Antonio Garden Club (SAGC) was founded in 1932. Comprised of five small neighborhood clubs, the SAGC’s members shared a love and appreciation of nature and gardening and showed foresight in their commitment to the cultivation of native plants. Their objectives were “the promotion of interests [sic] in the study of gardening, the use of native shrubs and flora, civic planting, and a closer relationship between the indoor and outdoor life of the community.” In 1932, two of these neighborhood clubs joined and thus the Alamo Heights-Terrell Hills Garden Club was born.
The logo was created in 2006 by Joane Bennett Drought. The design was inspired by a ceramic tile at the McNay Museum of Art.
Photo: AHTHGC Butterfly Garden at the Jack Judson Nature Trails